1. Can you tell my readers who you are? Do you have a nick name you’d prefer I call you?
I’m Ketchup. Obviously that’s a nickname, and no I’m not going to tell you my real name. I probably wouldn’t even answer to my real name. It’s been so long since anyone’s actually called me that.
2. For those readers who are meeting you for the first time, what do you look like?
I get accused of looking like Superman with my black hair and build, but my eyes are brown not blue. Just so we’re clear, though, I look more like the Smallville Superman, not so much the spandex wearing cartoon version. You wouldn’t catch me dead in something like that.
3. What’s one feature a reader would recognize right away if they saw you?
Other than looking like Superman, probably my smile. Van loves it, anyway.
4. Girls love scars and interesting birthmarks. Any you’d like to reveal to your readers?
Not anything noticeable. I’ve got some little scars around my knuckles from slipping with my lock picks…but I probably shouldn’t go into too much detail about that.
5. Can you tell us a little about your family?
My mom is super busy with work, so she’s not around a whole lot anymore. That was different before her and my dad split up, but we make it work. My dad stays pretty busy too—or at least that’s what he tells me when he bails on visiting. Van feels more like family than my real family sometimes.
6. Who are you closest to, and who do you wish you were closer to?
Even as busy as my mom is, we’re still pretty close. She somehow always knows when I need to be grounded, or when I just need someone to talk to. Van is my best friend, though, and nothing she could ever tell me will change how I feel. I just wished she believed that.
7. Where do you call home, and has that always been the same place?
Born and raised in the desert. Some people think it’s ugly, but I like it here. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t leave to stay with Van.
8. What is your biggest fear?
My biggest fear is not knowing what’s coming. I want to protect Van from whatever she’s facing, but if she won’t tell me what’s really going on I don’t know how to prepare. All I can do is watch and be ready…and make sure Van can’t see me keeping an eye on her house at night. She’ll claims she doesn’t need my help. Van isn’t wrong very often, but she is about this.
9. It seems like everyone else has a secret. Do you?
I’m not really the secret keeping type. I’m pretty up front about most things. Unfortunately, that has never helped me much with Van. Keeping other people’s secrets, though, that I can do.
10. What makes you laugh out loud?
Van’s and Laney’s expressions when I dump ketchup all over my food. Sometimes, I don’t even want ketchup, but I can’t resist grossing them out!
11. What is one strong memory that has stuck with you from childhood? Why is it so powerful and lasting?
The day Van saved my life. I don’t think I have to explain why that sticks in my head.
12. If you could take one night off and do anything you wanted (no repercussions), what would it be?
One night off, no repercussions? I’d take Zander somewhere out of the way and punch him in the face. He’d probably beat the crap out of me afterward, but it would be totally worth it. I have no idea what he has against me—I’ve never mistreated Van—but it’d be nice to take out a little frustration on him.
13. What does you most value in friends?
Honesty. I know Van is still working on this, but I’m willing to wait.
14. Which words or phrases do you get accused of over-using?
Did Van tell you to ask me that question? I’m sure she’s thinking about how many times I’ve told her I’m in love with her, but in my defense, it hasn’t sunk in for her yet. When she finally gets it, well, I’ll still say it all the time, but I don’t think it will bug her at that point.
15. If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?
Whatever it is that Zander hates about me. I’m not sure what it is, but I’d happily change it if I could…if it meant being with Van for real.
16. Which talent of Van’s do you wish you could have?
Have you ever seen her heal herself? It’s pretty amazing. I’d love to be able to do that. My mom would have a harder time finding reasons to ground me if I never came home with scrapes or bruises.